Fun Dental Facts
Do you enjoy trivia?
Here are some fun facts and trivia related to teeth and dentistry!
- Halloween is the biggest candy-selling holiday, followed by Christmas, Easter, and Valentine’s Day.
- Roughly 75% of school children worldwide have active dental cavities.
- It was customary during the middle ages to kiss a donkey if you had a toothache.
- 48% of young adults have untagged themselves from a photo on Facebook because of their smile.
- People who smoke are 2-7 times more likely to develop periodontal disease than non-smokers.
- Tooth enamel is the hardest structure in the human body.
- Roughly 25% of American adults have no teeth.
- The first toothbrush with bristles was made in China in 1498. Bristles from hogs, horses, and badgers were used.
- 61% of adults are attracted to somebody by their smile alone.
- The human tongue is as unique as a fingerprint. No two people have the same tongue print.
- In North America, over 3 million miles of dental floss are purchased annually.
- In the 1800s, blacksmiths and barbers also served as dentists.
- Sports-related injuries account for approximately 5 million missing teeth per year.
- 90% of system diseases have oral manifestations.
- Mosquitoes have 47 teeth.
- 47% of people notice a person’s smile when first meeting
- 14 million gallons of toothpaste are purchased each year
- Flossing once per day can increase your life expectancy by six years
- Taste is the weakest of the five senses
- An elephant’s tooth can weigh over 6-9 pounds
- 86% of women versus 66% of men brush twice daily or more
Dentist Brandon MS Home